Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Forthcoming essays

I did not post at all about my series of Wednesday readings during Lent, when I looked at seven things very profitably given up, though I did send an email to the members of my church.  Unlike other series I've done, it wasn't planned from the start but rather was determined by immediate concerns and inspirations.  It worked out well, and even generated an eighth, read on April 14, called in Mary Baker Eddy's words "Give up imperfect models."  It dealt with the Second Commandment, and looked back to the previous week, which in honor of National Poetry Month dealt with the arts and creation, and forward to the 21st, which was on idolatry.  Its title was "Idolatry: Slavery and Error."  Any one of these titles has many possible topics.

However, rather than develop any of these further, I am going to devote the next few Wednesdays, possibly through all of June, to addressing the urgent problem facing my own branch church and the Church of Christ, Scientist as a whole:  survival.  Will this require change?  Probably.  Reorganization? Possibly.  Renewal?  Inevitably.  I invite the members of my own branch to communicate to me anything they think should be included--but even better, attend the Wednesday services (no excuses) and contribute your testimonies. 

1 comment:

Poet said...

Dear Nancy,
Know now who are you (have enjoyed your comments on "The Broken Net"), and can visit your website from time to time.
Found your "Forthcoming Essays" of interest and as to our Church surviving, I agree with you that it will. However, we must do everything God inspires us to do to see that what He gave Mary Baker Eddy does.
All the best to you,